My name is Philip Suimei Horan. I spent two years in Japan, studying the
Tozan-ryu (都山流) in Hiroshima. I have studied shakuhachi with Sunny Yeung
(Hong Kong), Hanaoka Seizan (Hiroshima),Kiku Day and Jean-François Lagrost.
I completed a Masters in Ethnomusicology at the Irish World Music Centre in Limerick, focusing on shakuhachi acoustics and Japanese aesthetics. I have explored playing Irish and Celtic musics on shakuhachi. I play in a variety of styles from the traditional honkyoku (本曲) and sankyoku (三曲) to modern pieces and jazz. I give regular performaces in Ireland and abroad and teach shakuhachi to a small but growing community of shakuhachi players in Ireland. I completed Jun-shihan or a teacher's license in April 2013.
I began making shakuhachi when I lived in Japan from 1999-2001. My shakuhachi are ideal for zen meditation or ‘blowing zen’. All are made from root-end bamboo. I make both ji-nashiand ji-ari shakuhachi in all sizes. My shakuhachi are charactised by their responsiveness and naturalness.
- January 2017: Opening ceremony of the Eco Urbanites Symposium in Trinity College, Dublin.
- January 2017: Opening ceremony of the celebration of 60 years of diplomatic relations between Ireland and Japan in Iveagh House.
- April 2016: Performance with Junshi Murakami and Sean Whelan at Experience Japan Festival.
- May 2015: Performance with Junshi Murakami at Cabinteely House.
- September 2013: Performance with Junshi Murakami at the Ranelagh Arts Festival.
- June 2013: Opening of the Donnycarney Trad Festival with Junshi Murakami.
- September 2012: Performance with Junshi Murakami at the launch of Bamboo Dreams, an anthology of haiku from Ireland, edited by Anatoly Kudryavitsky.
- July 2012: Performance with Michelle O'Brien (fiddle) at the book launch of The Fragrance of Dust by James Norton.
- June 2012: Performance at the Chester Beatty Library with Charles Marshall (biwa).
- February 25 2012: Performance at Laya, a concert in aid of the hindu Vinayaka Temple in Dublin.
- Novermber 24th, 2011: Benefit concert for tsunami relief in St. Ann’s Church in Dublin.
- 15th October 2010: Performance with Masahiro Niitsuma (biwa), Hazuki Demachi (shakuhachi) and Thomas Charles Marshall (biwa) at St. Ann’s Church in Dublin. The event was hosted by the Japanese Business Association and sponsored by the Ireland Japan Association in cooperation with the Embassy of Japan in Ireland.
- May 16, 2010: Celebrating 100 years of the Japanese Gardens at The Irish National Stud .
- April 11, 2010: First Experience Japan Day, Dublin.
- September 8, 2009: National Concert Hall, Dublin. I performed a version of "Rokudan" with "Raga Pianist", Ustav Lal, Koushik Chandrashekar on mridangam and Rohan Kapadia on tabla.
- August 2009: Festival of World Cultures in Dun Laoghaire with Junshi Murakami.
- August 2008: 'Watch this Space' festival at the National Theatre in London with the Japanese group 'Haru Ichiban'.
- July 2008: Sydney International Shakuhachi Festival Grand Prix and participant concerts.
- December 2007: Concert organised by the Japanese Embassy in Dublin Castle with Bill Dowdell (flute), John Feeley (guitar) and Junshi Murakami (Irish harp).
- August 2007: Prague Shakuhachi Summer School.
- July 2007: Second European Shakuhachi Society Summer School in Munster.
- October 2006: Maynooth University lunchtime solo recital.
- July 2006: First European Shakuhachi Society Summer School in London.